I’ve had this recipe pinned for awhile now. I finally made them a couple of weeks ago and I thought it was the perfect time to share them now that it’s February!
This recipe came from Jamie Cooks It Up. She is one of my favorite bloggers. She has so many great recipes and menu ideas. She has five children, so she really knows how to cook to make the kiddos happy too! These sugar cookie bars certainly made my kids (and husband) happy.
I decided to leave the frosting white and then cut out heart shapes out of wax paper. I put the wax paper on top of the frosting and decorated them with sprinkles. Once you pull off the wax paper then voila!
See, now they are so cute you won’t even want to eat them!
That would never happen.
Sugar Cookie Bars
Yield: about 60 bars (depending on how big you cut them)
Time: about 40 minutes + time to cool and frost
Recipe from MyDearMother
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/2 t almond extract
1 t vanilla
1/2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
2 1/2 C flour
1/2 C butter softened
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 1/2 C powdered sugar
3-5 T milk
1 t vanilla
Food coloring & Sprinkles (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer beat the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and egg until nice and frothy. About 4 minutes.
2. Add the vanilla and almond extract and beat for 1 minute more.
3. In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Mix them around so that all ingredients are well incorporated.
4. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat for about 2 minutes.
5. Press the dough into a large jelly roll (cookie sheet) pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
7. Let the pan cool completely.
8. Time to make the frosting! In a medium sized bowl (or your stand mixer) combine the butter and cream cheese. Beat for about 2 minutes.
9. Add the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and food coloring (optional). Mix for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.
10. Frost your pan of cookies. Cut the cookies into bars and serve!