Believe it or not, I am not a big fan of eating Smores the traditional way. Don’t get me wrong, I love the process of roasting marshmallows by the fire, but that’s about where it stops. I usually have more fun watching the marshmallow turn black, pulling the top part off and doing it again.
It’s silly because I love the combination of chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows together. What I don’t like is when you make Smores by the fire the chocolate doesn’t ever seem to melt when the marshmallows are put on the hard chocolate bar. It doesn’t seem right to me. It’s just too big of a ‘chunk’ to bite into with the gooey marshmallow.
Last summer I made ‘Smores’ similar to these ones and they were a huge hit. I actually made them on a whole square of a graham cracker (instead of the 1/4 ones I made below). I also put a sucker stick in them for the kids to make it a bit more festive. The adults loved them so much too they told the kids the rest were for the adults! This summer I decided to make them smaller and I think they are the perfect size, especially for kids.
What you need:
Chocolate Chips (I used semi-sweet)
Cut your marshmallows in half. I used a pizza cutter.
Break apart square graham crackers into 1/4 pieces. Put them on a microwave safe plate. Place the two halves of the marshmallows onto the 1/4 piece of graham crackers.
Put the whole plate into the microwave for 10 to 30 seconds. Enough so that they start to puff up. You really need to watch them so that they don’t melt over.
Take them out of the microwave and immediately put on the top half of the graham cracker.
Some of them might be a little ‘overflowing’ with marshmallow. You can cut some of sides off if you want to. Let the marshmallow cool a bit so that they stick together.
Next, melt your chocolate chips in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until the chocolate is melted all the way through. Then take a spoon and drizzle and spread the chocolate with a spoon all over most of the graham cracker.
No need to be perfect. They will be eaten up before you know it! Put them on foil until the chocolate is hardened. You can put them in the fridge to speed up the hardening time if you have little ones chomping at the bit to eat them right away.
These are really yummy and will most likely not last very long when you make them.
But don’t let that stop you. They are so worth it.