A couple months ago while waiting out in the freezing cold while our boys played soccer, my good friend Barbara asked me if we did “Elf on the Shelf” during Christmastime for our family. I had NO IDEA what she was talking about!
So she explained to me how they have this adorable little elf that travels around their house all month, he appears in the funnest (is that a word, funnest? or should it be most fun? I am a grammar person and this has always bugged me….I digress, I know!) and strangest of places and it is a great hunt each morning for the kids to wake up and find where the elf had moved to (he actually is watching the kids all day to make sure that they are behaving nicely and then returns to Santa each night for a report before returning to our home and finding a new place to hide) in the middle of the night. I thought this sounded like GREAT fun!!
And lo and behold on Thanksgiving morning, I got a text from my friend Barbara that said we might just want to look on our doorstep! And there waiting for us was our own Elf on A Shelf!! I was SO excited!! I think even more so than the kids because they had NO IDEA who this little elf guy was! (And can I just say that my friend Barbara is the coolest for surprising us with this!!)
I really wanted to start our Elf adventure that very night but we had a long Thanksgiving day (it was super great, we spent time at 3 different houses with family and delicious food! And I totally plan on sharing my mom’s candied yam recipe with you very soon! I even took pictures!) So Thanksgiving night at 10 pm was NOT the time to explain our new Elf friend to our kids! We waited until the next day which was also the day that we introduced our kids to the movie Elf for the first time! One of my all time favorite Christmas movies (it ties with National Lampoons Christmas Vacation- which my kids will NOT be watching for a long time). SO after watching Elf and bringing out our Elf on the Shelf and reading the adorable story that came along with our Elf, the kids had to name this little guy And guess what they named him?? BUDDY!!!! So we are now the proud owners of Buddy the Elf on the Shelf!
It has been great fun watching our kids get so excited to find Buddy each morning. We have kept him in pretty easy to find locations for now but as the days get closer to Christmas we plan on making him harder and harder to spot. After all, he is supposed to be checking out their behavior to make sure they are being nice and not naughty!
Then today, one of my favorite blogs, How Does She, posed this question on Facebook…”How many of you are doing Elf on the Shelf” and where is the most creative place he has shown up?” And there were over 60 responses and they were HILARIOUS!! And now I can’t wait to try all this out! And then, I found out there is a whole Pinterest following for Elf on the Shelf with even more ideas….. this is going to be SO FUN!!
Here are a few of my favorite ideas so far:
- Our elf got into the flour, made a trail with it and left a snow angel behind… We kept flour on his cheek to make it look more believable!
- So far he has showed up in the bathroom with toilet paper craisins in the toilet (it was so funny!!) went on a date with Barbie in the Barbie car, and socked our tree.
- My husband is working on a zip line :) (for the elf!)
- We put him in the shower with a makeshift towel and shower cap!
- He was found upside down in a bag of chocolate chips that he tried to sneak into last night!
- We found him in the fridge, on the milk carton or trying to get into the chocolate milk!
These are all a little mischievous but made me laugh!!
- Ours has gotten into a bag of chocolate chips, colored a picture with our crayons, played dads guitar, and this morning he TP’d our powder room.
- Ours painted kids noses last night. Hilarious! (this mom literally painted her kid’s noses and then put the paintbrush in the elf’s hands with the paint bowl next to it!)
- Our elf painted mustaches on the all the family members in our family portrait (don’t worry folks, used dry erase markers on the glass, it totally came right off!)
If you are on Pinterest, seriously do a search for Elf on the Shelf and crack up at all the hilarious things you can find on there!!
So here are a few pictures of our Elf, Buddy!!
There is no telling where he’ll turn up next!! Are any of you doing Elf an a Shelf this year?